Bachelor of Photographic Media
Our goal is to equip our image makers with the skills and understanding necessary to compete with the artistic and creative demands of a competitive commercial industry. Creation of work and content on different platforms that include; Photo books, websites, and videos are just a few of the beneficial aspects of this program with an emphasis on business and professional practice in the final year of your undergraduate degree and the experience of showcasing your work both on and off campus.
- Small class sizes with opportunities to network and work on hands-on courses with peers and allow for greater tutor-to-student contact and support, offering a welcoming, college-bound learning experience.
- We encourage and support our students through critique sessions, workshops, and by posting papers online.
- Established visiting professors give regular talks and workshops.
- Excellent industry links with opportunities for students to gain real-world experience and contacts
- Finish the course with tangible assets including professional portfolio, custom logo, business plan, business card, professional website, and self-published book of your work.
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities, including 4 studios, 2 Epson Stylus Pro 4900, a Mac Room, two darkrooms, and two processing rooms.
- Access to a set of industry standard equipment for loan including; Canon and Nikon kit, multiple full-frame DSLRs, two Epson Stylus Pro 4900 large format professional printers, and one professional Flextight scanner.
- Expert photography staff with decades of industry and teaching experience create a stimulating learning environment.
- Experience working on industry-focused / client-oriented assignment summaries.
- Practical workshops both face-to-face and external.
- Strong links to industry, providing job opportunities for students and graduates to gain real-world experience and contacts.
- Invitation to join our closed network of Griffith College Photo Assist graduates and tutors.
- Emphasis on business and professional practice in the last year of the degree.
Graduates of this course have the option of continuing their studies at Griffith College. When you graduate from this program, you will be eligible to enter the final year of the Bachelor (Hons) in Communication and Media Production.
Through the Bachelor of Photographic Media, you will have gained valuable professional experience, built a strong portfolio both in the form of self-published books and on a website. Our final year students draw up a business plan, develop their brand, design a logo and business cards. Upon completion of our Bachelor of Photographic Media, you will have covered a wide range of media, including analog, digital, medium format, large format, and video.
Our graduates develop careers in photography and related industries, including freelance practice, wedding photography and public relations, sports photography, photojournalism, curation, publishing, exhibition, research and image editing, among other careers related to visual media.
Our graduates’ photographic work can be regularly viewed on popular clothing, sports and product websites, Hotpress Music Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, Cara Magazine, RSVP, UK and Ireland weekend editorial supplements, news agencies and sports ; Photocall, Inpho and Sportsfile and many have their own independent businesses and studios. Our graduates are working in many countries, including; Ireland, UKUSA, Norway, Italy, Pakistan and more.
There is a wide range of career options for our graduates, including:
- Commercial photographer
- Image Production Editor
- Wedding and social media photographer
- Press and Public Relations Photographer
- Sports photographer
- Still Image Photographer
- Creative Stylist
- Editorial photographer
- Freelance Photographer (and Videographer)
The first year provides students with a broad introduction to photography practices and studies, including knowledge of basic camera skills and photographic techniques, work on location and studio practices, along with health and security and best practices regarding workflow and post-production. Skills are developed in areas such as hand shooting, using industry standard software, research, learning, and presentation of skills. As a whole, this stage allows students to acquire basic photographic skills and a theoretical understanding, which will be deepened and expanded in stages two and three.
The second year builds on the learning of the first year and expands on the core elements. Students hone their skills in studio and other genres of photographic and writing practices on a variety of platforms while expanding their presentation skills and gaining knowledge of media law and ethics related to photography. Students expand their storytelling skills through the Editorial Photography module. Students also have the opportunity to showcase their practical work in a show called ‘Photoworks’ as part of the Structured Photography module.
The third year allows students to professionally apply acquired skills and select specialties. Students expand their photographic and cultural studies through the Politics of the Image. Students specialize in two out of three electives. Once the stage is over, they come out with tangible artifacts that include; a professional portfolio, self-published books, exposed work, branding, logo and website development, drew up a three-year business plan.
In response to the global closure of English language testing centers as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, Griffith College now accepts the online Duolingo English Test (DET) as valid proof of English proficiency. This is a temporary measure for our income up to and including February 2022.
Learn more about our educational offer