MSc in Sustainable Resource Management: Policy and Practice
This groundbreaking course offers a multidisciplinary approach to environmental sustainability designed to respond to the continuing interest of students in a master’s degree in environmental stewardship and the market demands of more knowledgeable graduates. applied of the environmental sector. Strongly guided by research, it is unique in that it combines urban form and function and landscape assessment and management for conservation in a jointly awarded postgraduate master’s degree.
The 12-month course comprises new modules taught only at the graduate level and aims to provide participants with the skills, knowledge and experience that are needed to pursue successful careers in managing environmental resources in a sustainable manner. The course will help develop government policy and economic recovery by producing high-quality graduates who can contribute to a smart economy and accelerate the implementation of green technologies. Given the pressure and competition for limited resources, the course applies an evidence-based approach to develop solutions for all users of the system. Graduates will technically master selected environmental science theory, policy development, implementation, and best practices.
Students taking this course:
- Develop a technical and scientific understanding of sustainability issues and problems associated with managing the use and management of resources in relation to (a) urban form and function and (b) landscape assessment and management for conservation.
- Understand a range of policy responses in relation to improving sustainability in urban and rural Irish settings, and studies of selected international cases.
- Synthesize an understanding of the complexity of natural and socio-economic-natural systems, along with an understanding of policy options existing and innovative sustainability measures to develop competence in identifying and evaluating optimal policy options.
There are specific career opportunities as Sustainability Officers, Ecological Consultants and Environmental Advisors within government agencies, public bodies, NGOs, planning consultancies and environmental engineering with an emphasis on sustainable design, corporate companies on a national and international scale. In addition, there are opportunities for further research. Opportunities exist within the “green” economy as governments, NGOs, and large corporations must work to meet environmental goals set within international obligations. Graduates will acquire translational and multidisciplinary skills in the sustainability and environmental entrepreneurship sector, allowing them to assume managerial roles within an industrial / corporate environment, or within a regulatory body or consulting firm.
Graduates of this program have found relevant employment in Ireland, UK, US, and elsewhere as university researchers; PhD students; in industry-based environmental management, environmental analyst, environmental quality control officer; consultancy-based climate change researcher; in non-governmental conservation organizations, in governmental organizations such as the National Biodiversity Data Center.
This program brings together theory, policy, and practice to provide participants with the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to pursue successful careers in managing environmental resources in a sustainable manner. . As the course is structured around research at both NUI Galway and the University of Limerick, which is strongly linked to decision makers in industry and government organizations, you will develop graduates with the skills necessary to identify and evaluate solutions for real world problems.
- At least a bachelor’s degree with honors (Level 8 – National Qualifications Authority of Ireland ) in an appropriate discipline, or a professional qualification or other equivalent recognized by both the University of Limerick and NUI Galway. This course is suitable for graduates with a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences / Engineering / Economics or Geography / Biological Sciences / Ecology and Earth Sciences who wish to expand their knowledge and skills for a career related to resource management. </ Span >
- For international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, an officially translated degree will be required.
- In addition, the CV (Curriculum Vitae) must be included in the application; a personal statement showing interest in the course; and a copy of your birth certificate or passport.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognized equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer