BSc in Software Design with Virtual Reality and Games
Software development is a huge growth area in ICT engineering. More than 900 software companies currently operate in Ireland and employ more than 24,000 people. Ireland’s reputation as a center of software excellence is unrivaled in Europe. It is home to multinational and indigenous companies that generate € 16 billion in exports annually. Activities spanning the sector include software development, R&D, business services, and EMEA / International headquarters.
Game development is one of the fastest growing sectors in the entertainment industry. Annual video game sales are approximately € 30 billion and are expected to increase to € 40 billion in the next four years. The value of the computer games industry worldwide is over € 85 billion and it is an area with enormous potential for development. Last year, there was a global investment of more than € 3 billion in the Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) industries. It reflects the exciting potential of providing immersive environments in games and movies that were not possible before. Our VR and gaming specialization prepares you to work as a software developer in these fast-paced industries. As a student of this course, you will work with the latest tools and technologies to improve your skills. Software development languages, tools and methodologies constitute the backbone of this program. These skills are critical to pursuing a career in the game development industry, but they also have widespread application across many domains.
The AIT Faculty of Engineering and Informatics is located in one of the most modern and best-equipped facilities of its kind in the country. The common entry structure of this program allows you to experience many core aspects of software development while allowing you to change your specialization upon entering the second year if you have the required CAO points. Teachers have extensive industry experience that enriches their teaching skills and competencies. You will be part of an exciting software development environment, with advanced research and strong links to industry.
Students who graduate from this course will be in a position to pursue careers as game developers, software designers, programmers and database administrators, and technical salespeople. Employers include: Ericsson, Valeo, Cisco, Avaya (Nortel), SAP, Hewlett-Packard, Google, Microsoft, IBM, Riverdeep, as well as financial institutions and SMEs.
Students applying to enter undergraduate or graduate programs must provide the following information directly to the International Office, Athlone Institute of Technology on or before May 1 for programs beginning in September:
- Complete AIT application form
- Detailed CV
- Certified transcripts of test results and English translations of grades not issued in English
- Evidence of ability to follow classes in the English language (which must satisfy the entrance requirements to the Institute for the following programs)
- Basic level program: Certificate in English for academic studies: Minimum IELTS 4.5 or equivalent
- Pre-session summer program in English from June to August: minimum IELTS 5.0 or equivalent
- Undergraduate programs: Minimum IELTS 5.5 without Band less than 5.0
- Postgraduate programs: Minimum IELTS 6.0 without Band less than 5.5 *
* Please note that some graduate programs require a minimum of IELTS 6.5
- Letter of recommendation from the corresponding department head of the institution itself
- Any other relevant information about qualifications or previous work experience
Learn more about our educational offer