BSc (with Honors) in Computer Engineering with Network Infrastructure
A comprehensive understanding of cloud and network infrastructure deployment and management is a key requirement for many organizations. There is significant growth in demand for graduates with the right skills in these areas, with recent reports referring to the shift to the cloud as “Climate Change” for IT. Additionally, various industry reports identify a shortage of networking professionals with relevant networking, cloud, and software skills.
This honors degree includes modules that will help students take additional assessments for VMware vSphere scores.
This program will provide the student with skills in the design and testing of medium-sized scripting applications. The program will also cover data modeling and database design; Students will also evaluate data storage and retrieval for large data sets required for Big Data. The student will also cover network management and enhanced networking topics such as SDN.
Augmented User Interaction, or AR, analyzes the emergence of interaction networks in various domains upon completion of a project. Students will also research, implement, document, and present a senior project in a related area.
What will I experience?
AIT is a leader in network and computer engineering education. The institute has extensive connections to industry, in addition, the Software Research Institute (SRI) located on campus, is a nationally recognized center. Student tutors and mentors are available to provide additional support. Programs are taught in the state-of-the-art IT and engineering building. You’ll get a lot of hands on hardware time as well as using remote access labs and simulators. This will give you an excellent view of the possibilities that networked systems can offer.
As a graduate of this course, you can expect to find employment as a network designer, network systems administrator, software roles, technical sales in a variety of industries. Potential employers include: Ericsson, Valeo, Cisco, Avaya, SAP, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, intel, VMWare, and a variety of businesses, from small startups to areas such as smart manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, and finance. where networks have become key to its operation.
A series of assessments are used in this program; a large proportion of the program is evaluated through continuous evaluation and project work.
Students applying to enter undergraduate or graduate programs must provide the following information directly to the International Office, Athlone Institute of Technology on or before May 1 for programs beginning in September:
- Complete AIT application form
- Detailed CV
- Certified transcripts of test results and English translations of grades not issued in English
- Evidence of ability to follow classes in the English language (which must satisfy the entrance requirements to the Institute for the following programs)
- Basic level program: Certificate in English for academic studies: Minimum IELTS 4.5 or equivalent
- Pre-session summer program in English from June to August: minimum IELTS 5.0 or equivalent
- Undergraduate programs: Minimum IELTS 5.5 without Band less than 5.0
- Postgraduate programs: Minimum IELTS 6.0 without Band less than 5.5 *
* Please note that some graduate programs require a minimum of IELTS 6.5.
- Letter of recommendation from the corresponding department head of the institution itself
- Any other relevant information about qualifications or previous work experience
For this program:
- Grade H5 at a higher level in two subjects, plus Grade O6 / H7 in four other subjects on the Leaving Certificate. Two of these subjects must be mathematics and one language (English or Irish)
- QQI: Applicants for QQI to this program must have the following award: Information Technology (CITXX). They are also required to have Software Development (5M0529) and the Math (5N1833) or Math for IT (5N18396) or Math for STEM (5N0556) module included in their award or alternatively have a Bachelor’s Certificate in Mathematics. They must also have distinctions in three modules.
Learn more about our educational offer