MSc in Biotechnology
Work permit while you study
Post Graduation Work Permit for 24 months
Start dates: September/January
Duration: 1 year
Level 9 qualification
- Type: Full Time
- Hours: Daytime
Enrollment Fee: From € 22,130 / year
This is the most established biotechnology master’s course in Ireland and the most popular master’s course at UCC. The international success of this course is attributed to the industry-led curriculum offered to students and the opportunity to complete a six-month placement in industry or an academic research laboratory. The global recognition of the course is also evident from our international students and the receipt of various industry sponsored scholarships available to incoming students and upon completion of the course.
The Master of Biotechnology is a one-year course designed to provide you with theoretical and practical skills for employment in the biomedical, biopharmaceutical, agrochemical and biotechnology research industries. The course curriculum consists of six months of lectures, hands-on lab sessions, professional service workshops, industry-based seminars, and a six-month research project. The curriculum has been developed with input from staff from the local biotech and biopharmaceutical industries to provide you with the necessary skills required by employers. Students have the option of completing the six-month research project in a national or international industrial or university setting.
The curriculum consists of approximately 250 contact hours during two academic periods (October to December and January to March), consisting of eight course modules, practical sessions established, professional service workshops and a series of industry conferences.
- presents the theory and practice of bioanalytical chemistry
- presents molecular biotechnology, eukaryotic, prokaryotic and plant biotechnologies, recombinant DNA technologies and their application in industries biotechnology and biopharmaceutical
- presents the principles of process engineering and biochemistry
- introduces the role of process validation and quality assurance in the pharmaceutical industry, and provides insight into the latest trends in good manufacturing, laboratory and validation practices
- presents the principles of food and industrial microbiology
- provides the opportunity to conduct and complete an independent body of research in an area related to biotechnology and present the findings of your research in a minor dissertation.
During the third academic term (April to September), students complete a six-month research project on a topic related to biotechnology, biopharmaceutical, or biomedical research.
The course is suitable for those students who wish to expand their specific biotechnology undergraduate knowledge and for those who wish to merge their bachelor’s degree and gain more specialized knowledge and training in biotechnology. The course allows you to follow a series of career paths. Each year, more than 70 percent of our students are employed, while approximately 20 percent of graduates advance toward international doctoral opportunities.
Students who get a job upon graduation are integrated into the organization and contribute productively much earlier than other graduates. For students with an interest in biomedical research and future careers as doctoral researchers, research projects are offered in a wide range of topics including, but not limited to; cancer biology, neuroscience, immunology, microbiology and plant biotechnology.
- Candidates must have earned at least a Bachelor’s, Grade I, or equivalent honors degree in a related subject. of the master’s program.
- For international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, an officially translated degree will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognized equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer