Upon successful completion of the course and registering as a psychiatric nurse with the Irish Nursing and Midwifery Board, you will be qualified to apply for a variety of psychiatric nursing positions and can apply for a position in the staff nurse degree in the sector of Irish healthcare, in addition to seeking promotional positions in clinical nursing, nursing administration, and nursing training.
As a graduate of this course, you can take advantage of more academic / professional courses in clinical specialties, for example, gerontology, behavioral nursing psychotherapy, addiction counseling, family and cognitive therapies, at AIT or other tertiary institutions. If you want to pursue a career in skilled nursing practice, you can apply for higher diploma courses in areas such as psychotherapy and behavioral counseling. Alternatively, you can choose to pursue advanced studies in nursing education or nursing management.
100% of the class of 2014 had a job six months after completing their degree.
AIT uses the Garda Central Verification Unit (GCVU) to assess the suitability of applicants for this program. This is due to the considerable amount of placements made with children and vulnerable groups in society. Therefore, offers for this program are conditional and could subsequently be withdrawn if applicants do not meet Garda’s research requirements.
Successful completion of the program leads to a Bachelor of Nursing in Psychiatric Nursing from AIT and registration at An Bord Altranais. The An Bord Altranais Award, Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN), is recognized nationally and internationally.
Students applying to enter undergraduate or graduate programs must provide the following information directly to the International Office, Athlone Institute of Technology on or before May 1 for programs beginning in September:
- Complete AIT application form
- Detailed CV
- Certified transcripts of test results and English translations of grades not issued in English
- Evidence of ability to follow classes in the English language (which must satisfy the entrance requirements to the Institute for the following programs)
- Basic level program: Certificate in English for academic studies: Minimum IELTS 4.5 or equivalent
- Pre-session summer program in English from June to August: minimum IELTS 5.0 or equivalent
- Undergraduate programs: Minimum IELTS 5.5 without Band less than 5.0
- Postgraduate programs: Minimum IELTS 6.0 without Band less than 5.5 *
* Please note that some graduate programs require a minimum of IELTS 6.5.
- Letter of recommendation from the corresponding department head of the institution itself
- Any other relevant information about qualifications or previous work experience
For this program:
- 6 places reserved for QQI students. QQI applicants for this program must have one of the following awards: Nursing Studies (5M4349), Community Health Services (5M4468), Healthcare (5M4339) included in their award. They must have distinctions in 5 modules that must include: 5N0749, 5N4325, 5N1279 or 5N2746