The Industrial Chemistry and Pharmaceutical degree course qualifies you for employment in a variety of career paths in the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biomedical and chemical sectors. The course structure combines theory and practical work to ensure graduates are well prepared for the challenges of a position in each of these fields upon graduation. The fundamental and applied aspects of organic, inorganic, physical and analytical chemistry are covered, as well as the key elements of computational chemistry and chemical engineering.
In the third year of the program, you will spend eight months as a paid full-time employee of a pharmaceutical or chemical company during the internship (Cooperative Education). The course is accredited by the Irish Institute of Chemistry and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) with graduates eligible for RSC Chartered Chemist status.
The program lasts for four years. Having followed a comprehensive first year common (LM123) where students will learn about a variety of topics including;
- Chemistry (inorganic, organic, analytical and physical)
- Introductory physics
- Introduction to biochemistry
Employability skills of this grade
- Applicants will require a baccalaureate degree officially translated into English.
- IELTS 6.0 or higher (or its internationally recognized equivalent).
- TOEFL 580 (on paper) or 90 (on the internet).
- UL has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for the 2021/2 admission (due at the closing of the exam centers). The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110. An interview may be required in conjunction with this for certain programs.
Applicants must possess at the time of enrollment the established Certificate of Completion (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects that must include: two H5 grades (higher level ) and four O6 (ordinary level) or four H7 (upper level) Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or other language, and English.
In addition, applicants must have a minimum grade of O3 / H7 in Mathematics and a grade of H4 in any of the following: Agricultural Science, Applied Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics , Physics with Chemistry.