BSc (with Honors) in Geology
Geology is the study of the history of the Earth and other planets in our solar system, their chemical and physical composition, and their structure and evolution.
Includes research on the nature and composition of the Earth’s outer crust, as well as a study of its deep interior. These studies allow us to understand the formation and occurrence of important natural resources such as coal, oil, gas, groundwater and mineral deposits.
The study of geology allows us to understand natural geohazards such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis. It also allows us to look back in time on Earth’s climate.
There is currently a global shortage of geology graduates. In recent years, graduates have gained employment in the area of environmental geology and have worked at home or abroad in various fields such as infrastructure and engineering projects, geotechnical site investigations, hydrogeology, landfill and impact management and environmental protection.
Our graduates are currently in high demand and are actively being recruited by hydrocarbon and mineral exploration companies, ensuring unrivaled opportunities to work abroad.
Papers taken by UCC Geology graduates include:
- Coal exploration geologists in Australia
- Open pit geologist in Western Australia
- Exploration geologist in Western Australia
- PhD in Geochemistry in New Zealand
- Mining geologist in Australia
- Hydrogeologist in the UK
- Exploration geologist in Western Australia and Zambia
The BSc Geology course does not assume any prior knowledge of the subject, but by taking this course, you will learn something about the processes that have formed this planet – spanning 4.5 billion years. – and those that allow humans and life as we know it to exist on Earth.
- As a general requirement, a Bachelor’s Degree / High School Diploma / General Baccalaureate / Professional Degree in a university is required recognized, with subjects in mathematics and laboratory science.
- For international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, an officially translated degree will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognized equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer